The Bible is a fantastic teacher! As good parents, whether we consider ourselves religious, spiritual or even a non-believer, we all have common values that we want to share with our children. The principles of love, obedience, patience, kindness, forgiveness and peace are all covered in beautiful poetic language. I get excited when I am in a stressful situation and the perfect bible verse comes to mind. Wouldn't it be great if our children could find that internal resource in good and bad times?
Here are a few of the verses that I learned as a child, which have sustained me into adulthood. Although children may pretend that they are not listening, they remember the words and values that we share with them. We can share them at bed-time, in the car on the way to school or just in daily casual conversation.
- Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6
- “My son, hear the instruction of your father, and do not forsake the law of your mother” Proverbs 1:8
- Honour thy father and thy mother that thy days may be long upon the land which the lord thy God giveth thee.
- Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Philippians 4:8
- “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.” Galatians 5:22-23
- Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over. Luke 6:38
- Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. Matthew 7:7
- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13.
Lesson: Faith/God's Plan
- For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11
- “And whatever things you ask in prayer, believe, you will receive." Matthew 21:22
- Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1
Lesson: God's promise/Love
- For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38 - 39
- Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. Psalm 19:14
- Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4
- No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper. Isaiah 54:17
- Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor. 13: 4 - 13.
- Jesus replied: ”Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself." Matthew 22:37-39
Lesson: Respect of person
- “Do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you.” 1 Corinthians 6:19-20
- To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven. Ecclesiastes 3:1
- “So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath." James 1:19-20
- For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. Romans 3:23
- Judge not that he not be judged. Matthew 7:1
- Thou shall not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
- Thou shall no steal.
- "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."John 14:27
I hope that you and your family find these passages of scripture helpful and that you add your own favorite passages in the comments below and in your daily discussions with your children.