Friday, November 18, 2011

A "Christmas" Letter


Inhale. Exhale. How long did that take? Life does not give us 5 minutes to take a breath; it moves at a rapid pace and we have to keep up. I have been missing in action for the past 2 months. Sometimes life intervenes and although I love to write, I had to take a hiatus from writing to just experience this unpredictable life. Today, I couldn't even remember the password for this blog and I still can't remember the password for my Twitter account. I have learned over the years that I can do it all but not well and I can have it all but not in the same day or month or sometimes even years. Now that I am back, please forgive the absence and the "Christmas" update that I am about to write. Don't we all love those "life has been perfect" letters. Thankfully, this is not one of those.

In a nutshell, all three boys started new schools. We ventured into private school territory with my Sun child because we wanted him in a religious school. Even though I went to public schools in Jamaica, we prayed in school without the church/state conflict. Those prayerful gatherings were my favorite part of the day and I want the kids to have that experience. My son found a great school and I found a community. I am actually excited about soccer games, parent meetings, fall festivals and everything that comes with having a 1st grader.

In September, I went to Aruba to celebrate my friend's 40th birthday. Before the trip, there was the usual parental hand wringing regarding whether I could find the time, should the money be spent on something for the kids and would the kids be ok with mommy gone for 3 nights. Of course they would, right? It was an amazing three days of relaxing and bonding with wonderful women, most I didn't know before the trip but we left Aruba as friends.  Let's face it, women are amazing! In three days, we shared fun and laughter, great stories, and better advice that I could get from any therapist. The trip was well worth the airplane ticket....until the phone call. 

As I am packing to leave Aruba, a panicked voice on the phone said, "are you sitting down?" No, I am not sitting down and don't intend to, what the heck happened? Hubby was taking the kids to church and got into a car accident. Can't I leave for a few days without getting a reminder that I CAN'T leave for a few days? Isn't there something very wrong about getting into a car accident on the way to church? Thankfully, except for a few bruises, the family is fine.  So the lesson is...no more Aruba or no more church :-).

So I will end with good news because every "Christmas" letter does. After 2 years of searching for a house, we found one and after promising the bank our 4th born, they gave us the money to buy it. We are officially Floridians! I won't even complain about the unpacking.

If you have been on your own hiatus and I have not heard from you, please chime in and let me know what rivers you have crossed in the past 2 months. I look forward to receiving your "Christmas" letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips